IETF
weirds@jabber.ietf.org
Wednesday, 16 November 2011< ^ >
Room Configuration

GMT+0
[00:35:57] Tobia Castaldi joins the room
[00:45:31] Frank joins the room
[00:52:15] MeetechoAudioFeed joins the room
[00:53:05] <MeetechoAudioFeed> audio test...
[00:53:07] <Tobia Castaldi> Alex
[00:53:14] <Tobia Castaldi> wait
[00:53:26] Hugo Salgado joins the room
[00:53:38] <Tobia Castaldi> ok
[00:53:42] <MeetechoAudioFeed> is it ok?
[00:53:49] <Tobia Castaldi> ok
[00:53:55] <MeetechoAudioFeed> good
[00:54:24] linuxwolf joins the room
[00:55:19] <Tobia Castaldi> Presentation stopped
[00:55:59] Lorenzo Miniero joins the room
[00:57:16] resnick joins the room
[00:57:49] sm joins the room
[00:58:16] tonyhansen joins the room
[00:58:42] bje joins the room
[00:58:56] Ted Hardie joins the room
[00:59:12] yone joins the room
[00:59:12] Ted Hardie leaves the room
[00:59:23] <sm> http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/82/weirds.html
[00:59:28] iris4ever joins the room
[00:59:54] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 1: WEIRDS BoF
[00:59:56] ggm joins the room
[01:00:18] Barry Leiba joins the room
[01:00:25] josephyee joins the room
[01:00:29] <bje> audio is very soft
[01:00:45] <sm> better now?
[01:00:48] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 2: Note Well
[01:00:51] <bje> that is better
[01:01:00] Frederico Neves joins the room
[01:01:10] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 3: Proposed Charter
[01:02:07] Danny McPherson joins the room
[01:02:15] ogud joins the room
[01:02:16] =JeffH joins the room
[01:02:21] HugoSalgado joins the room
[01:02:31] Jacky Yao11 (Health Yao) joins the room
[01:02:33] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 4: Plan for Meeting
[01:02:36] HugoSalgado leaves the room
[01:02:42] ray joins the room
[01:02:56] <Tobia Castaldi> meetecho session available at www.meetecho.com/ietf82/weirds
[01:03:01] <Tobia Castaldi> if you already logged inthe ietf jabber room please use a different nickname
[01:03:24] linuxwolf leaves the room
[01:03:27] Byron Ellacott joins the room
[01:03:27] Francisco Arias joins the room
[01:03:33] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 5: CRISP incorporated by reference
[01:03:37] miek.gieben joins the room
[01:03:48] linuxwolf joins the room
[01:04:18] Peter Koch joins the room
[01:04:36] Peter Koch has set the subject to: WEIRDS BOF at IETF82
[01:05:02] Kepeng joins the room
[01:05:51] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 6: Special client goals
[01:07:12] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 7: Special server goals
[01:08:27] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 8: 3 Priorities in proposed charter
[01:08:28] resnick leaves the room
[01:08:45] resnick joins the room
[01:09:00] stpeter joins the room
[01:09:12] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 9: Questions to get answered today
[01:09:21] Tony Hansen joins the room
[01:09:27] <Tobia Castaldi> Presentation stopped
[01:10:05] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 1: WEIRDS: ARIN implementation
[01:10:05] Yuri Nawata joins the room
[01:10:42] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 2: ARIN's Implementation
[01:10:52] <Tobia Castaldi> presentation at http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/82/slides/weirds-1.pdf
[01:10:52] naptee joins the room
[01:11:58] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 3: No title
[01:13:22] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 4: No title
[01:14:11] carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com joins the room
[01:14:52] TACHIBANA toshio joins the room
[01:16:10] <bje> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gregorio-uritemplate - is this what the speaker at the mic referred to?
[01:16:19] <stpeter> bje: yes
[01:16:21] <sm> Yes
[01:16:30] iris4ever leaves the room
[01:16:33] <stpeter> in fact that will likely go to IETF Last Call soon
[01:17:12] <Tobia Castaldi> Presentation stopped
[01:17:30] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 1: WEIRDS:
 RIPE
 NCC’s
 Impleme
[01:18:00] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 2: RIPE NCC’s Implementation
[01:18:38] spromano187 joins the room
[01:18:45] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 3: RIPE NCC’s Implementation
[01:18:47] iris4ever joins the room
[01:20:39] spromano187 leaves the room
[01:22:03] <stpeter> RPSL = http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2622
[01:22:24] <Frank> @stpeter: tnx
[01:22:39] <ggm> type: value, with specified type: sequences for objects, and nominated keys
[01:22:48] <ggm> supports folding and multiple records for some types.
[01:22:52] Suz joins the room
[01:23:10] <stpeter> BTW, if anyone in the chatroom here is remote, we can relay your questions to the physical room, just prepend by "MIC"
[01:23:27] Carlos Martinez LACNIC joins the room
[01:24:56] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> it doesn't matter what RIR / domainers use to access their DB
[01:25:08] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> implementations should abstract all that
[01:25:23] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> weirds should spec the protocol and data model to access information
[01:25:25] <stpeter> carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com: do you want me to relay that comment to the room?
[01:25:31] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> and not concern itself with internals
[01:25:34] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> if you will
[01:25:37] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> tks
[01:25:37] <stpeter> ok
[01:26:40] <stpeter> carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com: I'm in the mic line :)
[01:26:56] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> tks
[01:26:58] Yuri Nawata leaves the room
[01:30:08] <stpeter> carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com: by "access DB" do you mean things like RPSL?
[01:30:25] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> exactly
[01:30:40] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> our prototype uses SQL / hibernate, RIPE uses RPSL
[01:30:43] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> both are fine
[01:30:51] <=JeffH> what is the RFC# for RPSL again ?
[01:30:58] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> and should be out of weird's scope
[01:31:02] <stpeter> 2622
[01:31:06] <=JeffH> thx
[01:31:06] <sm> Fix your prototype:)
[01:31:16] <stpeter> sm: :P
[01:31:44] <Suz> mic, John :)
[01:31:53] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> hehe :-) the funny thing is that the problem is on the doc, the prototype works fine, although it should do a better job at handling exceptions
[01:32:11] <sm> Carlos, I know, just having fun;)
[01:32:48] john.levine joins the room
[01:33:08] <Tobia Castaldi> Presentation stopped
[01:33:09] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> glad you tested it sm !!
[01:33:14] jaap joins the room
[01:34:04] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 1: WEIRDS:
 domain
 name
 registry
[01:34:41] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 2: Implementation Details
[01:35:49] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 3: Related ICANN activities
[01:35:53] Yuri Nawata joins the room
[01:39:15] <Suz> *I* want that comprehensive acronym dictionary, Andrew and Steve!
[01:39:40] <sm> We need a WG to work on that :-)
[01:40:43] HugoSalgado joins the room
[01:40:48] Hugo Salgado leaves the room
[01:40:58] Suzanne Woolf joins the room
[01:41:27] <HugoSalgado> ICANN Acronym helper: http://www.andalucia.com/icann/ ;)
[01:41:43] <sm> Hi Hugo
[01:44:08] <Frank> @HugoSalgado: nice
[01:44:13] <Suz> +1
[01:44:21] <Tobia Castaldi> Presentation stopped
[01:44:36] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 1: RESTful Whois prototype
[01:44:46] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 2: RESTful whois prototype
[01:44:56] <Tobia Castaldi> in LACNIC
[01:44:57] <=JeffH> my bad -- when I made my comment about Steve's fine slide, I was looking at the list of acronyms on the left and didn't look at the title of the slide to see that they were alll ICANN -- I'd wondered if those groups were from various other orgs
[01:45:23] <=JeffH> and i was incorrect -- apologies
[01:45:23] <sm> I am in the room to keep Arturo working :-)
[01:45:40] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> hehe :) take care of him
[01:46:01] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 3: Next Steps
[01:46:34] Steve Sheng joins the room
[01:47:14] jaap leaves the room
[01:47:19] <Tobia Castaldi> Presentation stopped
[01:47:34] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 9: Questions to get answered today
[01:47:38] john.levine leaves the room
[01:48:18] Steve Sheng leaves the room
[01:48:21] HugoSalgado leaves the room
[01:48:30] Hugo Salgado joins the room
[01:48:33] john.levine joins the room
[01:50:23] jaap joins the room
[01:50:31] okadams joins the room
[01:50:58] <Lorenzo Miniero> for people who may be interested in an integrated view of the jabber room with the slides being presented, this meeting session also has remote support via Meetecho: http://www.meetecho.com/ietf82/weirds
[01:51:17] <Lorenzo Miniero> just make sure you use a different nicmkane if you're already in with your jabber client as well
[01:51:44] m&m joins the room
[01:51:53] linuxwolf leaves the room
[01:52:51] Yuri joins the room
[01:54:09] Yuri leaves the room
[01:59:39] Yasuhiro Orange Morishita joins the room
[02:02:27] iris4ever leaves the room
[02:02:55] vincent.levigneron joins the room
[02:03:06] aservin joins the room
[02:03:11] iris4ever joins the room
[02:03:29] Yasuhiro Orange Morishita leaves the room
[02:06:46] JeffH joins the room
[02:08:43] <JeffH> test via meetecho
[02:08:57] john.levine leaves the room
[02:09:02] <stpeter> JeffH: seems to work
[02:09:08] <Tobia Castaldi> :)
[02:09:09] <=JeffH> yeah
[02:09:16] <Tobia Castaldi> yes it works
[02:10:53] <=JeffH> however, meetecho wouldn't let me join using the handle "=JeffH" -- seems needlessly restrictive....
[02:11:45] <Tobia Castaldi> you are already using this nick name in the wirds jabber room
[02:12:09] <=JeffH> we can chat about it offline, suffice to say that's not the error msg I got
[02:12:30] <Tobia Castaldi> ok
[02:12:41] <Lorenzo Miniero> we know, sorry about this, the errors are not verbose enough as of now...
[02:16:00] naptee leaves the room
[02:18:34] <Carlos Martinez LACNIC> Mic: referrrals should definitely be in scope
[02:18:46] Danny McPherson leaves the room
[02:18:55] <Frank> [mic] Let's add a normative 5198 ref to 3912 and move it to STD
[02:21:15] john.levine joins the room
[02:21:19] mlepinski joins the room
[02:22:21] antoin joins the room
[02:23:07] <=JeffH> fyi: RFC 3912 WHOIS Protocol Specification
[02:23:24] <=JeffH> RFC 5198 Unicode Format for Network Interchange
[02:24:01] <Frank> meetecho says I'm "Frank", not geobbledegook ;-:
[02:24:05] <Barry Leiba> Pete: Interesting that you seem to see the jabber IDs, and I see the nicknames (Carlos Martinez and Frank [Ellermann]). What jabber client are you using?
[02:24:20] <Frank> meetecho @barry
[02:25:18] <resnick> I'm using iChat. They implement rooms badly.
[02:25:31] <Barry Leiba> Ah. Pity.
[02:25:40] <Barry Leiba> But they're Apple, so they dowhattheywant.
[02:25:58] <bje> the main thing iChat has going for it is it's not any of the other clients available for a Mac :-)
[02:26:07] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> try Adium
[02:26:12] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> not perfect, but does the job
[02:26:15] <Barry Leiba> I've always likes Adium.
[02:26:19] <Barry Leiba> liked
[02:26:37] <bje> I never liked it, but preferences are individual
[02:26:38] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> i'm using it right now and can see the names and not the nicks
[02:28:56] <Barry Leiba> bje: indeed.
[02:29:17] <iris4ever> Never make eye contact..
[02:30:03] <Barry Leiba> Ted: say what?
[02:30:05] abcde joins the room
[02:30:22] <iris4ever> In reference to Bill Smith getting the action item—he noticed it, so he's the stuckee.
[02:30:33] <Barry Leiba> Ah. Ya.
[02:31:19] <ray> +1 to DCs comments
[02:31:33] <ray> let's just specify a schema and get on with it
[02:33:24] <ray> I don't understand PK's concerns - if it's available over whois already then how does this change anything policy-wise ?
[02:34:26] <Barry Leiba> Ray: are you in the room, or do you want me to channel your question?
[02:35:21] <Hugo Salgado> @ray: RFC 3982 has a data schema. is done.
[02:35:59] <ray> I'm in the room
[02:37:53] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> hugo: would you favor an approach employing the schemas from rfc 3982 but operating over REST ?
[02:38:38] <ray> @carlos I wouldn't - IMHO they're too heavyweight
[02:38:48] <ray> @carlos I'd v
[02:38:59] <=JeffH> rfc 3982: IRIS: A Domain Registry (dreg) Type for the Internet Registry Information Service (IRIS)
[02:39:28] <ray> be happy to propose to our people that we implement a JSON output to a simple HTTP GET request, though
[02:39:56] <Frederico Neves> Andrei's concern only apply to addresses registries. AFAIK there is no domain registries with query options at port43
[02:40:11] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> tks ray
[02:40:35] <=JeffH> ray who, btw ?
[02:40:41] <ray> Ray Bellis - .uk
[02:40:55] <Tony Hansen> whoever is talking can barely be heard
[02:41:02] <sm> John Levine
[02:41:17] <Hugo Salgado> @carlos or the epp ones. the xml schemas are heavier than json, but that's a client choice.
[02:41:19] <Tony Hansen> thanks
[02:41:26] <sm> Can you hear now?
[02:42:00] <=JeffH> thx @ray
[02:42:04] <Frank> @sm: better
[02:42:42] <ray> for historical reasons we have a whois format that's very hard to parse, and I'm personally very sympathetic to the idea that LEA and cybersecurity folk need a consistent data format
[02:42:44] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> tks @hugo
[02:43:11] <ray> I don't care so much about the folks who just do an adhoc query because e.g. they're curious about who runs a particular ecommerce site
[02:44:02] <ray> the current human readable output is fine for them
[02:44:54] <Hugo Salgado> @Frederico .jp has options for language. and .de for encoding
[02:47:08] <Frederico Neves> but none related to the concern Andrei raised at the mic regarding subset of services over IRIS
[02:47:41] <=JeffH> so we don't have an etherpad for minutes for this bof ?
[02:47:59] <=JeffH> i presume someone is taking detailed minutes ?
[02:48:06] <=JeffH> who's @ mic ?
[02:48:15] <iris4ever> Mark Kosters
[02:48:19] <sm> I think that it ha sbeen set up for every working group
[02:48:28] <=JeffH> k thx
[02:48:34] <Frank> http://etherpad.tools.ietf.org:9001/p/notes-ietf-82-weirds?useMonospaceFont=true&showChat=false
[02:48:59] <sm> Maybe, I haven't looked it up
[02:49:34] jaap leaves the room
[02:49:35] <iris4ever> So, he's saying that for this purpose, there is a protocol enforcement bureau?
[02:50:11] <=JeffH> ok, so Frank pointed to a pad for this weirds session, and it seems that whoever is taking notes isn't using it, correct ?
[02:50:22] <Barry Leiba> correct
[02:50:35] <=JeffH> do we have a note taker?
[02:50:37] <Suz> @iris4ever: I think that's the assertion. I don't quite agree with the characterization of ICANN's position.
[02:50:42] <sm> Olafur is taking note
[02:50:45] <Suz> but I'm not sure it matters, because yes it's broken.
[02:50:50] <=JeffH> ok, thx
[02:50:53] <=JeffH> @sm
[02:50:55] <Hugo Salgado> @Frederico: I see...
[02:53:19] aservin leaves the room
[02:53:49] Arturo Servin Ü joins the room
[02:57:47] <Suz> mic: this sounds a lot like the discussion we had in dnsext about the IDN variant problem statement and how to interact with ICANN. That ended up taking an iterative process, of which this activity is part. There *are* ICANN staff and Board members who are not completely clueless about the IETF, and vice versa, but please expect a dialogue, not a pronouncement by anyone.
[02:58:12] <sm> Barry will channel
[02:58:29] <Suz> (that's Suzanne Woolf)
[02:58:50] <Barry Leiba> I know; thanks.
[02:59:11] <Suz> :)
[03:01:34] <=JeffH> Dave Crocker has Rick Perry moment -- news at 11
[03:01:43] <stpeter> =JeffH: :)
[03:01:46] <m&m> lol
[03:02:05] <Suz> audio cut out!! :(
[03:02:18] <Barry Leiba> You didn't hear how good you sounded!
[03:02:29] <sm> No audio now?
[03:02:35] <Suz> back
[03:02:38] <sm> Ok
[03:02:45] <Suz> local issue, but I missed Dave Perry's Moment :)
[03:02:59] <Barry Leiba> Dave forgot what he was going to say.
[03:03:10] Lorenzo Miniero leaves the room
[03:03:11] <=JeffH> but he didn't say "oops"
[03:03:30] <Tobia Castaldi> suz: are you using the meetecho audio stream?
[03:03:59] <Tobia Castaldi> or the mp3 streaming?
[03:04:33] <Suz> was using the mp3. And I think it's a last mile problem.....as you were, sorry for the interruption :)
[03:04:59] <Tobia Castaldi> no problem
[03:05:00] <Tobia Castaldi> :)
[03:05:54] <Tony Hansen> hum for
[03:06:04] Suzanne Woolf leaves the room
[03:06:17] <sm> people hummed for and nobody against
[03:06:44] <sm> Is there a domain name registry problem to be solved (hum)
[03:07:47] <sm> some humming for that
[03:08:47] TACHIBANA toshio leaves the room
[03:11:02] ggm leaves the room
[03:12:25] <ray> if all we're doing is fixing "whois" none of that matters
[03:12:51] <sm> ray, what do you mean?
[03:13:13] <ray> I mean simply fixing the query protocol and the response format
[03:13:22] <sm> Thanks
[03:13:24] <ray> rather than introducing new features that whois doesn't support
[03:13:33] <sm> Well, XML :-)
[03:13:44] <ray> I said _fixing_ !!
[03:14:09] <Tony Hansen> hum not a waste fo time
[03:15:00] Carlos Martinez LACNIC leaves the room
[03:16:17] miek.gieben leaves the room
[03:17:28] iris4ever leaves the room
[03:19:21] m&m leaves the room
[03:19:23] Barry Leiba leaves the room
[03:19:29] sm leaves the room
[03:19:31] <Frank> willing to review
[03:19:32] ray leaves the room
[03:19:39] Frederico Neves leaves the room
[03:19:43] Yuri Nawata leaves the room
[03:19:47] antoin leaves the room
[03:19:56] josephyee leaves the room
[03:20:04] mlepinski leaves the room
[03:20:12] yone leaves the room
[03:20:23] Kepeng leaves the room
[03:20:24] Suz leaves the room
[03:20:47] vincent.levigneron leaves the room
[03:20:57] <Tobia Castaldi> the recordings of this session will be available asap at http://www.ietf.org/meeting/82/remote-participation.html#Meetecho
[03:21:04] <Tobia Castaldi> bye bye
[03:21:18] <Tobia Castaldi> Presentation stopped
[03:21:20] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> thanks Tobia
[03:21:25] <carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com> great job :-)
[03:21:25] Frank leaves the room
[03:21:33] =JeffH leaves the room
[03:21:34] <Tobia Castaldi> Thank you :)
[03:21:42] stpeter leaves the room: Disconnected: connection closed
[03:21:44] Arturo Servin Ü leaves the room
[03:21:47] ogud leaves the room
[03:21:55] carlosmarcelomartinez@gmail.com leaves the room
[03:22:18] Tobia Castaldi leaves the room
[03:23:00] Francisco Arias leaves the room
[03:23:40] Peter Koch leaves the room: Computer went to sleep
[03:24:24] resnick leaves the room
[03:24:41] abcde leaves the room
[03:28:29] john.levine leaves the room
[03:29:47] Jacky Yao11 (Health Yao) leaves the room
[03:32:07] john.levine joins the room
[03:33:11] JeffH leaves the room
[03:33:30] ogud joins the room
[03:33:54] john.levine leaves the room
[03:35:47] ogud leaves the room
[03:40:16] stpeter joins the room
[03:42:21] Tony Hansen leaves the room
[03:49:36] Myung Hee CHOI joins the room
[03:54:41] bje leaves the room
[03:55:43] Byron Ellacott leaves the room
[04:15:59] Myung Hee CHOI leaves the room
[04:35:12] MeetechoAudioFeed leaves the room
[04:53:50] Arturo Servin Ü joins the room
[04:55:47] Arturo Servin Ü leaves the room
[05:03:15] Jacky Yao11 (Health Yao) joins the room
[05:03:47] stpeter leaves the room: Disconnected: Replaced by new connection
[05:03:47] stpeter joins the room
[05:07:49] stpeter leaves the room
[05:11:28] Jacky Yao11 (Health Yao) leaves the room
[05:26:23] ggm joins the room
[05:26:23] Hugo Salgado leaves the room
[05:26:31] ggm leaves the room
[05:26:31] ggm joins the room
[05:44:51] ggm leaves the room
[06:05:15] ggm joins the room
[06:16:21] ogud joins the room
[06:22:59] Peter Koch joins the room
[06:27:18] Peter Koch leaves the room: Computer went to sleep
[06:32:16] TACHIBANA toshio joins the room
[06:32:27] TACHIBANA toshio leaves the room
[07:01:30] okadams leaves the room
[07:13:27] ogud leaves the room
[07:16:32] ggm leaves the room
[07:24:41] vincent.levigneron joins the room
[08:01:03] vincent.levigneron leaves the room
[08:10:09] tonyhansen leaves the room
[08:38:03] vincent.levigneron joins the room
[09:07:08] Peter Koch joins the room
[10:37:41] Peter Koch leaves the room: Computer went to sleep
[10:40:32] vincent.levigneron leaves the room
[14:45:58] Peter Koch joins the room
[15:47:20] Peter Koch leaves the room: Computer went to sleep
Powered by ejabberd Powered by Erlang Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!