IETF
nfsv4
nfsv4@jabber.ietf.org
Thursday, March 26, 2015< ^ >
Room Configuration
Room Occupants

GMT+0
[13:36:40] Simon Romano joins the room
[13:39:09] Meetecho joins the room
[13:48:30] Simon Romano leaves the room
[13:55:12] rscheff joins the room
[13:55:16] Thomas Haynes joins the room
[13:55:20] <rscheff> I'll be the jabber scribe
[13:56:23] <rscheff> chairs slides, pg 4
[13:56:50] Matt Benjamin joins the room
[13:57:16] Simon Romano joins the room
[13:58:08] Richard Scheffenegger joins the room
[13:58:49] Spencer Shepler joins the room
[13:58:55] Alex McDonald joins the room
[13:58:59] <rscheff> Hi Spencer!
[13:59:19] <Alex McDonald> hi spencer
[13:59:20] <Spencer Shepler> good morning
[13:59:34] <Spencer Shepler> I am remote today as well
[13:59:40] <Spencer Shepler> Had a last minute change of plans
[13:59:51] <Spencer Shepler> Tom Haynes and Beepy are supposed to be in the room
[14:00:03] kaduk joins the room
[14:00:05] <rscheff> they are; I'm your jabber scribe for the session...
[14:00:22] <Spencer Shepler> And how did Alex get a microphone by his name?
[14:00:37] Tom Talpey joins the room
[14:00:40] <rscheff> Meetecho I guess :)
[14:01:49] <Alex McDonald> yup
[14:02:03] <Alex McDonald> i'll keep muted
[14:02:11] Matt Benjamin leaves the room
[14:02:15] <Spencer Shepler> is there audio yet?
[14:02:27] <Thomas Haynes> Did you hear that?
[14:02:29] <Spencer Shepler> wow, the voice of god
[14:02:38] Trond Myklebust joins the room
[14:02:42] <Tom Talpey> Does anyone know the secret for enabling the microphone? My status is "Passive" and the icons are not present
[14:02:43] <Spencer Shepler> yeah, I head that one; you guys are very quiet
[14:02:43] Simon Romano leaves the room
[14:02:48] <rscheff> audio ok?
[14:02:53] <Alex McDonald> ok
[14:02:54] <Spencer Shepler> yes, we can hear
[14:02:55] <Tom Talpey> Audio ok
[14:03:06] Matt Benjamin joins the room
[14:03:10] <rscheff> Alex, how did you enable your microphone?
[14:03:24] <Spencer Shepler> I may have made that up btw
[14:03:39] <Alex McDonald> dunno
[14:03:47] <Spencer Shepler> hummmmm
[14:03:56] <Spencer Shepler> heh, that is a cool button
[14:04:16] <rscheff> session starts
[14:04:40] <Alex McDonald> some jitter so mic needed please
[14:04:41] <rscheff> chairs slides
[14:04:43] <rscheff> pg 2
[14:04:43] <Spencer Shepler> Brian is not on a mic
[14:04:56] <Alex McDonald> good
[14:04:57] <Spencer Shepler> yeah!
[14:05:09] <rscheff> pg 3
[14:05:19] <rscheff> pg 4
[14:05:22] <Spencer Shepler> wow, we have a sound delay
[14:05:24] <Tom Talpey> rscheff - thanks we can see slides
[14:05:45] Daniel Gryniewicz joins the room
[14:06:15] <rscheff> ok, there was one jabber-only participant, but he left...
[14:06:21] <Tom Talpey> Hey we can see Tom H now too
[14:06:27] <Spencer Shepler> we are receiving a 10 second delay (duplicated audio)
[14:06:33] <Spencer Shepler> anyone else receiving that?
[14:06:55] <Tom Talpey> Audio seems fine here, along with slides and video
[14:07:06] <Alex McDonald> no, turn off your mic on lpatop; feedback?
[14:07:16] Richard Scheffenegger leaves the room
[14:07:20] <Spencer Shepler> okay, weird
[14:07:32] <rscheff> might ahve been me? left meetecho... just in case
[14:08:10] <Spencer Shepler> still looping for me (audio)
[14:08:46] Spencer Shepler leaves the room
[14:09:30] Thomas Haynes leaves the room
[14:09:54] Spencer Shepler joins the room
[14:10:25] <rscheff> any feedback on COPY / CLONE?
[14:10:39] <rscheff> Tom suggests to keep both in the specs
[14:12:06] <Spencer Shepler> whew, left and came back and my audio is good; highly localized phenomenon
[14:12:23] <Spencer Shepler> they are posted
[14:12:33] <Spencer Shepler> or were about 5 minutes prior to the meeting
[14:12:40] <Spencer Shepler> should be in meeting materials
[14:12:52] Thomas Haynes joins the room
[14:12:59] <Spencer Shepler> what did beepy mumble? :-)
[14:13:07] <rscheff> he is looking for the slides
[14:13:26] <rscheff> beepy is looking...
[14:13:43] <Spencer Shepler> web delay
[14:14:28] <Tom Talpey> Mic: So Tom's proposal is to keep COPY and CLONE, but continue discussion and then a WGLC?
[14:14:29] <Alex McDonald> currently dlna this thru my tv; awesome at 50"
[14:14:30] <rscheff> here we go
[14:14:55] <rscheff> yes, keep both in the current specs, not push them out into a minor revision
[14:15:22] <rscheff> his point was that there (almost) exists a working implementation already
[14:15:56] <Tom Talpey> Yes, understood, just making sure we understand this causes another cycle
[14:15:58] Thomas Haynes leaves the room
[14:16:35] <rscheff> shall i forward your comment to the mic? (bit late now :( )
[14:17:17] <Alex McDonald> is there bluesheet for us on intertoobs? who's in room?
[14:17:22] Spencer Shepler leaves the room
[14:17:25] Spencer Shepler joins the room
[14:17:37] <Trond Myklebust> You were supposed to sign in on joining.
[14:17:55] <Tom Talpey> Not necessary to forward my question at this point.
[14:18:13] <Tom Talpey> Alex, if you joined the meetecho participation you should have had to sign in
[14:18:18] <Spencer Shepler> whew, I am back with audio and video
[14:18:20] <rscheff> mostly the usual suspects - I don't know all of you by name though :( sorry.
[14:18:22] <Tom Talpey> If you joined the broadcast-only, you don't
[14:18:25] <Alex McDonald> did, but not sure who's in room; 8 on call
[14:18:44] <rscheff> Dave Borman, Catlin Bestler and another lady I don't know are visiting :)
[14:18:53] <Alex McDonald> ok ta
[14:19:11] <Tom Talpey> Thanks for being our eyes-in-the-sky!
[14:19:22] <Spencer Shepler> yes, very, very helpful
[14:20:25] <Trond Myklebust> Not on objects or block.
[14:21:42] <Tom Talpey> Who is speaking?
[14:21:48] <Spencer Shepler> martin
[14:22:09] <Spencer Shepler> wait
[14:22:17] <Spencer Shepler> how does TOm plan on closing on Kerberos
[14:22:20] marc eshel joins the room
[14:22:25] <Spencer Shepler> are we done with that discussion or close on WG list?
[14:22:29] <Alex McDonald> hummmmm
[14:22:30] <Alex McDonald> hummmmm
[14:22:45] <kaduk> Someone said kerberos; do I (Ben Kaduk) need to come over from tls?
[14:22:49] <Spencer Shepler> okay
[14:23:07] <kaduk> (They are talking about 0-rtt issues which are also applicable to the GSS-API, which I would want to be present for)
[14:23:26] <Alex McDonald> Is Andy Adamson in the house?
[14:23:26] <rscheff> @Ben: will be discussed on list
[14:23:31] <rscheff> no
[14:23:39] <kaduk> rscheff: okay, thanks.
[14:23:42] <Spencer Shepler> yes, covered on the list
[14:23:47] <rscheff> @alex: travel restrictions...
[14:24:54] <rscheff> questions to tom, anyone?
[14:25:34] Thomas Haynes joins the room
[14:25:48] <Spencer Shepler> no mic
[14:25:54] <rscheff> FedFs topics...
[14:26:00] <rscheff> beepy doesn't like the mic :)
[14:26:12] <Spencer Shepler> well then
[14:26:52] <rscheff> nothing important, just lookign for the correct slides :)
[14:27:00] <rscheff> chuck is on...
[14:27:44] Thomas Haynes leaves the room
[14:27:52] Thomas Haynes joins the room
[14:28:18] <rscheff> anyone read the new individual drafts ?
[14:29:00] <Spencer Shepler> yes to Tom's suggestion
[14:30:42] Trond Myklebust leaves the room
[14:37:27] <Tom Talpey> TomT agrees
[14:38:04] <Tom Talpey> Mic - TomT yes, if WG agrees with plan
[14:40:30] <Tom Talpey> Mic - RFC5666 is sufficient for NFSv2 and V3, but has issues with NFSv4 (COMPOUND)
[14:40:45] <rscheff> soon
[14:41:21] <Tom Talpey> An update document is of course OK, but strictly speaking it may not be necessary for v2/3
[14:42:09] <Tom Talpey> Mic - it also needs a 5667 update, to "nail v4 to the floor", that's next in the deck
[14:43:37] <Tom Talpey> sure!
[14:45:22] Martin Stiemerling joins the room
[14:45:26] <Tom Talpey> Correct - COMPOUND has evolved since RFC5667 was written
[14:45:39] <Martin Stiemerling> Your AD  heads over to another session for 15 minutes, jabber me, if there are questions for your AD
[14:46:02] <Spencer Shepler> Thanks Martin
[14:46:34] <Tom Talpey> Replace
[14:46:37] <Spencer Shepler> yes, my preference
[14:47:29] <Matt Benjamin> agree here (we are implementing)
[14:48:38] <Matt Benjamin> does it have to in any possible implementation?
[14:48:58] <Matt Benjamin> offload
[14:49:50] <rscheff> @matt hope I got you the answer you were seeking...
[14:50:14] <Matt Benjamin> yes:  I think discussion of offload w/hw vendors could be useful
[14:50:22] <Tom Talpey> I'm ok with 1 or 2
[14:50:40] <Tom Talpey> I don't prefer 3 - but it could work
[14:50:50] <rscheff> beepy prefers 1
[14:51:14] <rscheff> tom?
[14:51:16] <Tom Talpey> Ther eis language in RFC5666 requiring some document to cover this
[14:51:23] <Tom Talpey> But it does not specify which document
[14:51:26] <Tom Talpey> We need to decide
[14:52:41] <Tom Talpey> Could leave some things open to interpretation.
[14:52:53] <Tom Talpey> Perhaps discus this further in the process of updating RFC5666
[14:53:42] <rscheff> optin 1 rough consensus
[14:56:44] <Tom Talpey> Yes - agree than an outline is needed soon-ish
[14:56:58] <Tom Talpey> The decision to -bis both documents does raise the work bar somewhat
[14:57:07] <Tom Talpey> So it wil take additional time
[14:58:20] Simon Romano joins the room
[14:59:20] <rscheff> simon, we are on NFS/RDMA specification refresh (Lever / Talpey) (40 minutes)
[15:00:37] <Tom Talpey> Actually, this is Chucks "bidirectional" topic, different but related
[15:03:35] <Spencer Shepler> I have a conflict that I need to attend to so will be dropping from the meeting; please send email if there are items I need to take care of...
[15:04:15] Spencer Shepler leaves the room
[15:07:42] <rscheff> David novak...
[15:07:54] <Tom Talpey> Mic - so if everyone agrees, should these happen in the 5666-bis, or a new document?
[15:08:40] <Matt Benjamin> is there a process obstacle to bis?
[15:08:53] <Matt Benjamin> nm
[15:09:12] <Tom Talpey> No obstacle, but it adds new functionality to the -bis, which could delay it
[15:09:21] <Matt Benjamin> tx
[15:09:36] <Martin Stiemerling> Tom: Does timing matter for 5666-bis?
[15:09:36] <Tom Talpey> that was for the mic
[15:09:39] <Alex McDonald> who's flashing the sides?
[15:09:46] <rscheff> beepy
[15:10:14] <Tom Talpey> Martin - timing does not matter, except that there are issues in NFSv4 today, whcih are perhaps more urgent
[15:10:27] <Tom Talpey> So it's a two-step process, perhaps
[15:10:45] <Tom Talpey> An add-on WITH A NEW RPCRDMA protocol version
[15:11:01] <Tom Talpey> Right - chuck just answered the same
[15:11:11] <Tom Talpey> The RFC5666-bis does *not* require a new version
[15:12:03] <Martin Stiemerling> ok
[15:12:58] <Matt Benjamin> not requesting comment, wrt restricting backchannel to inline;  I worry this would prevent future elaboration of bulk ops;  perhaps the proposed chaining addresses this
[15:13:31] <Tom Talpey> Mic - TomT agrees to keep bi-directional as experimental, and therefore in a separate draft
[15:13:55] <Tom Talpey> However, we need to explore the callback issues, and reserve the right to change our mind :-)
[15:15:12] <rscheff> NFSv4 Version Management - (Noveck/Haynes) (20 minutes)
[15:16:48] <rscheff> audio ok?
[15:16:54] <Alex McDonald> yes
[15:16:56] <Tom Talpey> yes
[15:18:01] Matt Benjamin leaves the room
[15:18:46] Matt Benjamin joins the room
[15:25:23] Martin Stiemerling leaves the room
[15:30:28] <rscheff> Approval of new WG documents (WG Chairs)
[15:30:43] Thomas Haynes leaves the room
[15:31:59] <rscheff> Martin back in the room
[15:32:48] <Tom Talpey> is the xattr doc already a WG item?
[15:33:05] Thomas Haynes joins the room
[15:33:20] Martin Stiemerling joins the room
[15:33:32] <rscheff> @tom: individual apparently
[15:33:42] <Tom Talpey> yes i heard, thanks.
[15:34:01] <rscheff> david noveck ...
[15:34:57] <rscheff> Martin: doc is in the queue
[15:35:05] <rscheff> overwork of AD getting better
[15:35:42] Thomas Haynes leaves the room
[15:35:52] <rscheff> final comments anyone?
[15:36:11] <Alex McDonald> thanks richard for doing chat
[15:36:15] <rscheff> sure
[15:36:21] <rscheff> see you in prague
[15:36:22] Matt Benjamin leaves the room
[15:36:28] Alex McDonald leaves the room
[15:36:32] <Tom Talpey> thanks for scribing!!
[15:36:37] Daniel Gryniewicz leaves the room
[15:36:48] <rscheff> my pleasure :)
[15:37:13] Tom Talpey leaves the room
[15:38:14] Meetecho leaves the room
[15:38:59] <rscheff> Session ended.... (what you hear is hallway conversations)
[15:39:01] rscheff leaves the room
[15:43:24] Martin Stiemerling leaves the room
[15:43:27] Martin Stiemerling joins the room
[15:44:09] Martin Stiemerling leaves the room
[15:55:19] kaduk leaves the room
[17:31:32] Simon Romano leaves the room
[17:31:35] Simon Romano joins the room
[17:47:41] Thomas Haynes joins the room
[17:48:35] Thomas Haynes leaves the room
[17:48:39] Thomas Haynes joins the room
[18:01:32] Martin Stiemerling joins the room
[18:56:29] Martin Stiemerling leaves the room
[19:52:26] Thomas Haynes leaves the room
[20:02:03] Simon Romano leaves the room
[20:07:33] Simon Romano joins the room
[20:07:34] marc eshel leaves the room
[20:13:32] Thomas Haynes joins the room
[20:24:26] Simon Romano leaves the room
[22:04:59] Thomas Haynes leaves the room
Powered by ejabberd Powered by Erlang Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!